Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Watercolor Made Easy

I'm so excited to share more of our new release with you. I am absolutely loving Whole Lotta' Happy, I mean even more than I had anticipated. At first glance it looks like a set for children's cards. But today, I thought I'd show you how it can definitely be used in a more sophisticated design.

I've combined a "watercolor" technique along with our new Dove Grey card stock, lot's of gold, and the Happy Trio die for a card that's anything but juvenile. I am really enjoying incorporating watercolor into my cards more these days. Here's the breakdown for re-creating this easy look.

Instructions:
  1. Gather your supplies: stamp of your choice, Tim Holtz Distress Marker or Pad, Spray Bottle (Mini Mister shown)
  2. Cover stamp with ink
  3. Spritz stamp with water
  4. Stamp image
  5. Try experimenting with different amounts of water to see the different results

Once the balloons were dry, I added a few "splats" of Heidi Swapp Color Shine in Gold. For the sentiment, I embossed the "you make me..." portion directly on the card front in gold. I completed the sentiment by die cutting the word "happy" from card stock and embossing it with gold as well. The Happy Trio Die is such a great compliment to this set. It uses the same large "happy" words, but in a slightly larger scale. This allows you to mix and match them together for even more possibilities.

Wplus9 Supplies:
Stamps: Whole Lotta' Happy // Dies: Happy Trio Die // Cardstock: White, Dove Grey

While I had everything out, and since I was already making a mess...I decided to create a slightly different version. I used our new Cashmere card stock. LOVE. I added a few confetti hearts with glittered embossing powder using the Borders & Backgrounds 3 stamp set. This time, I added the sentiment by embossing it in white on vellum. I don't use vellum much. I think I should use it more. ;o)

Wplus9 Supplies:
Stamps: Whole Lotta' Happy, Borders & Backgrounds 3 // Cardstock: White, Cashmere

So what do you think? Want to give it a try, I'd love to see what you come up with. If you want to play along, add your link below using the Inlinkz button. We'll keep the link open throughout the month.

25 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Thanks for the tutorial!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn these are both so lovely! I just got my first distress markers finally! I will have to try this out! Thanks for the tutorial!!!!! And Happy Anniversary!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I had actually talked myself out of this...but your stunning card made me see new possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a soft pretty look! Love this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, this is darlin...luv this set!

    sparkle & shine *~*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great technique! Can't wait to try it myself. Always learning new things from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, how gorgeous is this...AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, how gorgeous is this...AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great technique...both cards are sensational!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very pretty and looks
    Fun to recreate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very sweet cards and awesome sets have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to give this a try! Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two gorgeous cards. Such gorgeous golds with the pinks. Awesome stamps too! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love both of these cards. You've given them such a soft look with the pinks and dove grey.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful cards, Dawn. I this new set of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE them so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW!! SIMPLY Beautiful!! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEKEND!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just beautiful! Love embossing on vellum, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning, love the soft gentle balloons :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the soft look of the watercolor effect. I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful cards, love the watercolour effect :)

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest