Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Illusion Of Layers

Hi! Kara here.

I saw an image posted on Pinterest {where else?} with cute bow ties. It made me think of my dad who asked if he could wear a bowtie to my wedding. He's old school like that ;) Of course, I said yes.

I thought a fun, graphic bowtie birthday card would be perfect for him.

To create my bowties I used a few triangle images from the Just Geometrics: Triangles stamp set.

I stamped them in Mojito and Ocean Drive PURECOLOR Dye Ink and finished each one off with a rhinestone.

I wanted to mat my card front in a coordinating color cardstock, but didn't have any that matched. So here's how I created my custom "faux" mat using ink.

Step-by-Step Instructions:
  1. Tape off the edges of your card stock in the desired width. I just eyeballed the white space that I wanted left around the outside of the 'mat' and added some painter's tape, it's about 1/4 inch. (Try varying the size for different looks!)
  2. Use a sponge dauber to apply ink to the revealed card stock. (I swiped the color from the edge inward to avoid color seeping under the tape.) You only need to go in as far as will show. No need to color areas that will be covered by the top panel.
  3. Carefully remove the tape; it can tear your paper. (If your tape is too sticky, try removing some of the "stick" by pressing the sticky side to your skin and removing it before applying it to your card stock.)

SUPPLY TIP: You can also try using Masking Paper or Post It Tape instead. On a second attempt I used masking paper instead and it was much gentler on the paper and gave a much cleaner edge. I'll link some in the supplies below. But, in a pinch...well, we all have painter's tape on hand. ;o)

For my sentiment I die cut 'dad' from the Epic Dad die set from white card stock. I added color to it using Ocean Drive ink and a dauber. I stamped the banner from Basic Banners in black ink and cut it out however, there is a coordinating banner die.

A very simple technique for stretching your basic supplies. White cardstock is all you need, especially with these PURECOLOR Dye Inks!

This is also a great technique for eliminating some bulk while still giving the illusion of layers. Try adding a second color to make it look like it is double matted.....

Thanks so much for joining me today!

12 comments:

  1. Fabulous project, love that you Dad is old school and he is going to love this Bday card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you "matted" your card with sponge daubing and how you used the triangle images to create a more masculine card. Really nice card design!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfect for your dad, Kara, terrific card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card: I'll have to try out that technique: I hate wasting paper!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great project and such a fun card for your dad! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the card, love the masking technique and will try that, soon. Would also love to see a photo of your dad sporting that bow-tie!! Thanks for sharing =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted one on Instagram! :) Check it out here:

      http://instagram.com/p/p8yTDak6KK/?modal=true

      Delete
  7. Oh, this is fantastic, and thanks so much for the helpful tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh come on! This is a great paper saving idea,love it! Wonderful card for your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHat a cool design and what a great way to save on layers and get the perfect mat colour. Cheaper to post too !!!

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest