Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Build Your Own Dream Catcher

Welcome back on our Day 3 of Special September 2014 Release. It's Joni here, and today I wanted to share a special project with you using the Dream Believer stamp set along with the Dreacatcher Die.
Remember, all of the featured products will be available for purchase beginning Sept. 5, 2014 at wplus9.com, as well as at many of your favorite retailers.
I have been wanting to create my own Dream Catcher for a long time now. They fascinate me, especially the story behind it. Not really sure if they are true, they just look pretty to me. You can read all about Dreamcatchers HERE.
If you've been following my blog, then you know that I created a sort of Dreamcatcher way back using the Wplus9 past release Lacey Layers and Fanciful Feathers. You can see the original post HERE. Now that Dawn has created this wonderful Dream Believer Stamp Set and Companion Die, along with the Dreamcatcher Die, for sure lots of uses will come with these.
I wanted to show you the pieces of this dream catcher project. Using the Dreamcatcher Die set you can easily build your own dream catcher.
Wplus9 Supplies
Stamps: Dream Believer (available 9/5/14) // Dies: Dreamcatcher Die (available 9/5/14) // Cardstock: White

You will also need: Distress Ink (Wild Honey, Peacock Feathers, Vintage Photo), Vellum, Sequins and Twine (Pretty Pink Posh shown), Watercolor Paper

If you're looking for somewhere to start, you can find lots of inspiration on Pinterest. Or you can use mine as a guide and customize it to make it your own.
For the card base, I created a watercolor panel first. I allowed it to dry, then stamped the tiny cluster of circle images from the Dream Believer Stamp Set all over the panel. To create the dream catcher, I die cut the outer hoop five times from cardstock and adhered them all together, one on top of the other, for thickness. To create the webbing of the dreamcatcher, I die cut it twice - once from vellum and once from cardstock - and adhered them to the hoop.
Next, I adhered the string die cuts that hold the feathers to the feathers, die cut from vellum and cardstock. I added some Diamond Stickles to the feathers for shimmer. Some Pretty Pink Posh sequins work perfectly for "beads" in Aquamarine, Sand, and Sparkling Clear.
The sentiment is from the Dream Believer Stamp Set as well. I stamped it directly onto the watercolor panel using a Distress Marker in Vintage Photo.
I decided to make my dreamcatcher removable, so the recipient can remove it and keep it if they like. This is really simple to do. Just cut a little slit in the top fold of the card base and insert the twine and secure in place with a little tape as shown below.
Now the Dream Catcher can easily be removed from the card. Of course you can hang this anywhere you like, or you can simply use it as a focal point on your card or any projects you might have in mind.
Thank you so much for visiting! I hope I have inspired you to create your own dream catcher.

MORE DESIGN TEAM INSPIRATION

And be sure to stop by tomorrow to see what Dawn has cooked up with the Pretty Peonies collection!

33 comments:

  1. I adore this set! And wouldn't the dream catcher make the most perfect Christmas decoration? I can see my window filled with dream catcher in my Christmas colours (white, silver and gold). Stunning idea and execution on this set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, Joni! Loving your dream catcher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty and thanks for the detailed steps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool! Using both vellum and cardstock gives it a very unique look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the prettiest cards I've seen. Your background is beautiful and the little dream catcher is perfection. I've often thought about making one using an embroidery hoop but now I want to make some like yours and hang them in a window like the first comment above (Cecilie).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your dreamcatcher and I love the addition of vellum. Great idea making it removable for the receiver of the card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really awesome die set. Wish they had a give away with it. The card you guys have made with it have been just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely breathtaking! I think I would have to frame this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love this. I can't wait to try it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is AMAZING!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!! Absolutely lovely!! You are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning thanks for sharing super excited to have won this set <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love dream catchers and this is exceptional

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning Joni! Such a BEAUTIFUL card and I love that the person you give it to can remove it as a keepsake. You're just too clever! The sparkle on the feathers and the sequins are just perfect little touches. Nicely done...and I think this set has just moved up to the top of my list now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to get this, my grandmother loved dream catchers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so doing this-love it. Dream catchers are my favorite-

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous cards!!!! Love the backgrounds!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love all the intricate details of this set! Beautiful card and great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is outstanding. What a beautiful project!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, how pretty. I don't think I care for cream catchers, but this set with the matching dies are amazing! Especially love the feathers.

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest